Job Title: Senior Scientist
Location: West Coast
Click Here To Apply
Our client is one of the country’s largest and most well-known producers, distributors and marketers of premium quality, branded food and pet products for the U.S. retail market. The Company also produces and distributes private label food and pet products.
They currently have a new opportunity for a Sr. Scientist in their division on the West Coast.
BROAD FUNCTION AND SCOPE OF THE POSITION:
This position is responsible for driving product development projects from concept through commercialization, resulting in the launch of new snack or food products. This position is also responsible for the improvement of existing products, relocation of products between production facilities, value engineering, and technology development to enable new product development or cost improvement.
PRINCIPAL CONTINUING RESPONSIBILITIES:
• This position is responsible for formulating and designing complex products with minimal managerial support. Projects must deliver the agreed upon metrics successfully, including (but not limited to) timeline, cost, aesthetic, commercial feasibility and consumer relevance. This position is also responsible for planning and tracking technical deliverables and timelines, and ensuring the technical workflow fits within the overall project plan and timeline.
• This position is responsible for efficiently designing, planning, coordinating and executing complex experiments from bench-top through scale-up with minimal managerial support. Accountabilities include all project aspects such as: creating work plans; project design and timing analysis; cost analysis and management; sourcing raw materials; prototype development; rapid protocepting; data analysis and interpretation; interpreting chemistry and lab analyses; assessing process integration and co-packing feasibility; ensuring products are developed within Nutrition, Regulatory, and QA guidelines; and managing product stability and shelf-life testing.
• The incumbent is responsible for owning the technical implementation of projects and must be able to troubleshoot and resolve various project challenges with minimal managerial support as needed.
• This position critically reviews experimental results and provides recommendations on medium and high-complexity projects. The incumbent must also anticipate challenges and take initiative to develop and pursue alternate solutions, as appropriate, with minimal managerial support.
• The incumbent must maintain detailed records in a laboratory notebook and have some knowledge and level of understanding and practice of intellectual property development and protection.
• Provides technical support for external research programs.
• The incumbent must communicate (written or orally) complex messages clearly and concisely and in a manner appropriate to the specific audience. In addition to communicating current realities, the incumbent must also communicate future possibilities with credibility and influence to internal and external stakeholders.
• This position creates opportunities for new, ownable and relevant technology development for pet products application, driving these efforts internally or through external partnerships (vendors/universities, etc). The incumbent is responsible for supporting the development of a long-term pipeline of highly differentiated technologies that are both consumer relevant and market viable. The incumbent will lead efforts to protect new technologies to provide Company competitive advantage in the marketplace.
• This position is responsible for directly or indirectly managing, mentoring, and developing junior technical staff. Will also supervise pilot plant technicians, national plant operators (internal and co-pack), and various support staff. The incumbent also functions as a back-up to the Manager or Projects Manager, as necessary.
• The incumbent must also have a good business acumen and be able to successfully lead and collaborate with cross-functional team members, including Marketing, Finance, Operations, Corporate Quality and Food Safety, Procurement, Co-pack, etc.
Minimum B.S. Degree in Food Science, Food Technology or a related discipline. Preferred: MS or PhD.
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
Predicated upon education and experience. Typically 7 to 12 years.
• Must have broad depth of experience in developing and launching consumer products, pet products, extruded consumer products (e.g., cereal or salty snacks); meat experience preferred.
• Approximately 25% travel required—including occasional international travel.
• Strong project management skills.
• Must be willing/able to drive a Company or rental vehicle as needed.
• Expertise with Microsoft Office software, including Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-pace environment, managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Must be passionate and driven, yet flexible and willing to embrace changing business priorities and ambiguity.
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the United States now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.
For additional information, please contact Gina Tentzeras, 954-428-3888, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Moira McGrathOPUS International, Inc.1191 E. Newport Center DriveSuite Ph-E
Deerfield Beach, FL 33442