Job Title: Flavor Chemist
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Our client is a cutting edge company that works in partnership with their customers to create customized food flavor applications for a variety of products. They currently have an opportunity for a Flavor Chemist at their location in the Midwest.
The focus of this position is to successfully create flavors with commercial and technical merit delivering customer-winning solutions. You will work in a cross-functional team with Commercial, Sensory, Applications, Seasoning, Analytical, Encapsulation Sciences and other Flavorist teams to support local and global creative approaches. You will continually assess the changing Regulatory, Commercial and Technical environments to ensure best practices are employed. Provide project management skills with the ability to critically discuss technical points with the customer. A proven knowledge of flavor performance / interactions and a general understanding of the business landscape are critical success factors for this position. The position offers high visibility and the ability to showcase your technical prowess, creativity and talent. We are looking for a flavor chemist with experience creating confection, bakery and beverage- focused flavors. The focus is on the “sweet brown”, mint, citrus and other fruit profiles flavor creations. Flavor creation for applications such as beverages (CSD, still, alcohol, coffee, creamers, etc.), confections (chewing gum, tablets, taffy, chocolate, etc.) and bakery (dough, dry mix, cookies, cake, crackers, cereal, nutritional bars, etc.) will be expected. Flavor performance knowledge related to processing will be critical for success in this role.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Proven ability to build and manage projects for business partners such as Category Management and Sales. Ensure all project parameters (project timeline, regulatory constraints, pricing and technical merit) are achieved. Ability to discuss technical points directly with the customer is a critical success factor.
• Successfully create flavors with commercial and technical merit to deliver customer-winning solutions. Unique raw materials, processes and technologies can be leveraged to enhance the Company’s value proposition and your creative talent. Provide new flavors for Reference Library.
• Work in a cross-functional team with Commercial, Sensory, Applications, Seasoning, Analytical, Encapsulation Sciences and other Flavorist teams to support local and global briefs as well as strategic and research-based products focused on providing customer value.
• Remain commercially relevant by understanding the ever-changing regulatory, commercial and marketing landscapes.
• Continue to strengthen your technical knowledge by staying current with new scientific approaches, technical developments and raw material understanding. Ability to design experiments, create model and descriptive keys, be a critical thinker and convey results is critical.
• Successfully support technology development by evaluating flavor performance related to encapsulation systems, new process introduction, taste modulation compounds and cross-functional scientific disciplines.
• Proven flavor performance knowledge regarding chemical interactions, processes and flavor stability in various food and beverage-based applications.
• Proven ability to duplicate flavors for matching projects and strategic initiatives like market mapping or consumer-informed development (CID). Analytical teams and organoleptic tools will be available to enhance success.
• Ability to mentor peer and junior team members while driving success and innovation in a cross-functional team.
• Proven understanding of commercial approaches and standard business practices in the food and flavor marketplace.
• Support Sales initiatives by presenting Company capabilities at customers and/or at targeted technical / commercial conferences.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors or Master’s degree in a Chemistry discipline; combination of education and experience will be considered. In addition to a degree, the candidate must be certified by the Society of Flavor Chemists and have 8-10 years of flavor-development experience. Minimum 8-10 years of experience with knowledge of flavor processing technology desired. Possess a technical skill and knowledge of flavors and flavor systems with the ability to manage multiple lines of projects. Understanding laboratory processes and safe work practices, along with being very detail oriented. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Proven leadership skills that motivate, generate pride and enhance respect for others. Strong knowledge of computers and related software programs such as Microsoft Office, Access and Business Databases. Must be able to read, write, comprehend and communicate written or verbal instructions, policies and procedures.
Open-minded person with the ability to adjust to a rapidly changing work environment. Self-motivating, forward-thinking, problem solver with a highly professional demeanor. Exhibits successful leadership through personal integrity and exemplary work ethics. Positive approach to challenges, excellent communication and “people” skills, professional and personable working relationship with internal and external customers, dependable, reliable and able to work independently or as directed. Ability to understand and appreciate the differences in an employment staff, and able to work with all levels of employees.
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the United States now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.
For additional information, please contact Barbara Bond, (954) 428-3888 or email@example.com.