They currently have a new opportunity for a Sr. Scientist, Process Development Pet R&D. ***This role will initially be located at their Research and Development Center on the West Coast. In early 2017, the role will relocate to a newly built, state-of-the-art Research and Development Center located at the Corporate Campus in the Midwest. They will offer relocation benefits to support the dual locations of this role.***
This position is responsible for developing, optimizing, and implementing proprietary process technologies and equipment for the Company’s innovation roadmap. The Sr. Process Engineer will drive process development for innovation from concept through commercialization, resulting in the launch of new pet snack or food products. This position is also responsible for the improvement of existing process, value engineering, and technology development to enable new product development or cost improvement. The candidate must be comfortable leading functional teams or projects with moderate resource requirements, risk and/or complexity.
• Responsible for developing robust processes. Projects must deliver the required product attributes and meet the requisite guardrails and metrics (ex: timeline, cost, feasibility, consumer tests etc.). Responsible for planning and tracking technical deliverables and timelines ensuring the process development plan fits within the overall project launch timeline.
• Efficiently design, plan, coordinate and execute experiments from bench-top through scale-up. Accountabilities include all project aspects such as: creating test plans, process flow diagrams, transformational flow sheets, sourcing equipment, data analysis and interpretation and assessing process feasibility.
• Apply fundamental engineering principles in combination with a creative mindset to develop novel process solutions. Strong collaboration skills with colleagues and external experts are essential.
• Critically review experimental results and provide go-forward recommendations to project teams – also anticipate challenges and take initiative to develop and pursue alternate process solutions as appropriate.
• Keep abreast of new [food] processing technologies and recommend for consideration where appropriate.
• Communicate (written & orally) complex messages clearly and concisely and in a manner appropriate to the specific audience. The incumbent may be asked to communicate project updates with credibility to internal and external stakeholders.
• Support the development of a long-term pipeline of highly differentiated technologies that are both consumer relevant and market viable.
• Participate as an active member of cross-functional project teams including R&D Product Development, Packaging, Product Research, Marketing, Finance, Operations, Engineering, Procurement, Co-pack and QA teams to scale successful processes to commercial production.
Education: This position requires a BS, MS, or PhD in Engineering (e.g., Chemical, Biochemical, Mechanical,
Years of Experience: Depending on degree, 2 years or more in CPG industry; experience in human or pet food a plus.
• Must have broad depth of experience in developing processes for launching consumer products. Pet products, extruded consumer products (e.g., cereal or salty snacks), or meat experience preferred, but not essential.
• Approximately 25% travel required—including occasional international travel.
• Strong project management skills.
• Must be willing/able to drive a company or rental vehicle as needed.
• Expertise with Microsoft Office software, including Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint.
• Expertise with CFD tools like Ansys, ComSol, etc. is preferred.
• Expertise with statistical, data-analysis software like JMP, MiniTab, etc. is a plus.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-pace environment, managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Must be passionate and driven, yet flexible and willing to embrace changing business priorities and ambiguity.
PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS: Lifting, bending, sitting, carrying, standing.
Candidate will be expected to:
• Walk, stand or sit for extended periods.
• Work and move freely and safely around manufacturing processes and equipment.
• Lift/carry 25 lbs. regularly and 50 lbs. occasionally.
• Work in cramped or confined spaces.
• Bend or crawl frequently.
• Work in manufacturing areas for extended periods, including (but not limited to) exposure to excessive heat, cold, wet/slippery conditions, loud noises, and various smells. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is mandatory.
• Climb on stairs or ladders.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: TEMPERATURE: High NOISE LEVEL: High
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the United States now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.
For additional information, please contact Gina Tentzeras, 954-428-3888, or firstname.lastname@example.org.