They currently have a new opportunity for an R&D Sr. Technologist – Product Development. ***This role will initially be located at their Research and Development Center on the West Coast. In early 2017, the role will relocate to a newly built, state-of-the-art Research and Development Center located at the Corporate Campus in the Midwest. They will offer relocation benefits to support the dual locations of this role.***
BROAD FUNCTION AND SCOPE OF THE POSITION:
The R&D Sr. Technologist – Product Development will use his/her technical leadership abilities to solve significant technical problems and lead innovation process. He/she will make advances in science, technology, engineering, or other capability that result in new and/or improved products or methodologies. He/she is responsible for driving development of new snack or food products from concept through commercialization. He/she is also responsible for the improvement of existing products, relocation of products between production facilities, value engineering, and technology development to enable new product development or cost improvement. The candidate must be able to successfully perform the requirements of the job autonomously, with a moderate-level managerial oversight.
PRINCIPAL CONTINUING RESPONSIBILITIES IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE:
• Formulate and design a variety of pet food products. Projects must deliver the agreed upon metrics, including (but not limited to) timeline, cost, aesthetics, commercial feasibility and consumer relevance.
• Efficiently design, plan, coordinate and execute experiments from bench-top through scale-up.
• The incumbent in this role will be accountable for key technical deliverables in a project, including:
– Creation of detailed work plans to ensure adherence to finished product critical success factors, financial metrics, and often demanding timelines.
– Development/validation of physical and functional prototypes.
– Documentation of final formulation, ensuring finished product compliance with Nutrition, Regulatory and Food Safety requirements.
– Technical assessment/recommendations around new materials and/or processes, as needed.
• The incumbent must communicate (written or orally) complex messages clearly, concisely, and in a manner appropriate to the specific audience.
• The incumbent is responsible for owning the technical implementation of projects and must be able to independently troubleshoot and resolve various project challenges.
• Technical responsibility for the coordination and execution of specific project activities.
• Acquire technical expertise quickly in new areas.
• Bring forward new technical insights based upon their original ideas, and new innovative approaches to solve problems.
• Develop skills in partnering with others and building effective teams.
• The incumbent will be expected to independently develop scientific hypotheses, investigate substitute formulation and process solutions as appropriate, critically review experimental results, provide recommendations, and own the technical implementation on low-to-medium complexity projects.
• The incumbent must maintain detailed records in a laboratory notebook; and exercise intellectual property best practices to protect the interests and competitive advantage of the Company, especially when working with external partners.
• Work closely with cross-functional partners, providing technical guidance/recommendations aligned with manager.
Education: This position requires a BS, MS or PhD in Science (e.g., Food Science, Chemistry, Physics,
Biology, Packaging, Nutrition) or Engineering (e.g., Mechanical Engineer, Biomedical Engineer, Chemical Engineer, etc.).
Years of Experience: Experience with the consumer goods, food, and, ideally, pet food industries is a plus.
• Experience in food product development, from inception through commercialization, ideally including shelf stable extruded, baked and/or retorted products.
• Demonstrated knowledge of new product development and commercialization through co-manufacturing relationships preferred, but not essential.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Approximately 30% travel required – including occasional international travel.
• Strong project management skills and customer focus.
• Must be willing/able to drive a company or rental vehicle as needed.
• Expertise with Microsoft Office software including Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects simultaneously.
• Must be passionate and driven, yet flexible and willing to embrace changing business priorities and ambiguity.
• Previous experience with pet food product development a plus.
PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS: lifting, bending, sitting, carrying, standing
Incumbent may be required to:
• Walk, stand or sit for extended periods
• Work and move freely and safely around manufacturing processes and equipment
• Lift/carry 25 lbs. regularly and 50 lbs. occasionally
• Work in cramped or confined spaces
• Work in manufacturing areas for extended periods, including (but not limited to) exposure to excessive heat, cold, wet/slippery conditions, loud noises, and various smells. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is mandatory.
• Climb on stairs or ladders.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: TEMPERATURE: High NOISE LEVEL: High
Must be able to safely work in various manufacturing environments for extended workdays, off-shifts and
occasional weekends or holidays.
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the United States now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.
For additional information, please contact Gina Tentzeras, 954-428-3888, or firstname.lastname@example.org.