Our client is a major food and beverage processor located in Northern California. They are one of the most recognized food brands in the world, with annual sales exceeding $1 billion. They have been in the business of producing healthy products for over a hundred years. Their core values of integrity, partnership, innovation and quality remain strong. They have a new opportunity for a Senior R&D Food Scientist
New Product Development:
• New Product Development project management within the R&D function.
• Utilize knowledge of food ingredients, food science, and consumer marketing insights to identify and develop new prototypes and formulas to meet customer and business unit product strategies and requirements.
• Organize and manage new products ideas and concepts from lab prototype samples through pilot plant production and full commercialization. Develop the processing and technical requirements needed for scale up. Coordinate first production run product evaluations and approvals.
• Actively participate in innovation activities and contribute to the development of new product strategies and ideas. Identify and recommend new applicable technologies to management.
• Manage product development technical relationship with internal and external customers. Assume the role of an innovator and project leader demonstrating initiative, creativity, and thoroughness in the execution of complex projects.
• Conduct shelf life, sensory, product performance, and quality attribute testing of products as part of the development process.
• Generate new product technical information including production specifications.
• Work with nutrition consultant and other subject matter experts to assess feasibility and claims support of new nutrition claims.
• Maintain detailed records.
• Source new food ingredients. Develop and document new food ingredient specifications.
• Assist with the preparation of Technical Marketing and Sales Information publications.
• Assist Regulatory with development of nutrition facts, allergen labeling and ingredient declaration.
• Provide ongoing technical support to Marketing and Sales for new product introductions. Prepare product sales samples.
• Provide written project summaries, technical reports, and recommendations to management.
• Evaluate technical trends in areas of expertise, and make recommendations for product or process improvements. Incorporate customer feedback in making product improvements.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related scientific field. Masters or PhD preferred.
• Minimum of seven (7) years of applicable food/beverage product development experience.
• Experience managing new products or projects within the R&D function, preferably in the food and/or beverage sectors.
• Skilled at quickly building cross-functional relationships.
• Candidate should be a self-starter who has demonstrated personal and thought leadership capabilities in prior responsibilities.
• Comfortable with ambiguity and change.
• Self-driven and energetic.
• Comfortable in respectfully challenging business orthodoxies and facilitating organizational growth and change.
• Stage-gate experience or equivalent new product development process.
• Project management.
• Proficient in MS Project Pro software or similar project management tools.
• Sound working knowledge of food science principles, GMP, HACCP, food safety, sanitary practices and regulations. Familiarity with FDA labeling regulations desirable.
• Detail oriented with analytical problem solving skills.
• Ability to utilize Word and Excel computer software. Knowledge of Genesis and SharePoint software a plus.
• Experience working with cross-functional business teams to develop and commercialize new food/beverage products.
• Lift samples weighing up to 25 pounds.
• Flexibility to occasionally work outside of normal work hours. Some travel will be required to manufacturing or test facilities, customer facilities, or trade shows.
• Work in food laboratory and manufacturing environments. When in the manufacturing environment, incumbent must to be able to climb stairs or ladders and work on elevated platforms.
• Operate kitchen appliances, restaurant equipment, food processing pilot equipment, common laboratory equipment.
• 20% travel
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the United States now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.
For additional information, please contact Gina Tentzeras, (954) 428-3888 or firstname.lastname@example.org.