Our client is a top US food producer of name-brand packaged and frozen foods. They are also one of the country’s largest food service and food manufacturing suppliers, offering convenience foods and ingredients. They currently have a new opportunity for a Principal Food Labeling Specialist at their facility located in the Midwest.
A Principal Food Labeling Specialist is a leader and expert in reviewing, updating and approving labeling designs for Marketing and Brand Design. This person will collaboratively work across functions and is expected to communicate with all functional groups on matters relating to product labeling and compliance. This person will participate in addressing labeling/regulatory issues that arise across the company. Will lead 1 to 3 other food labelers.
- Provide U.S. food labeling expertise and collaborate cross functionally with Government Affairs, Legal, Regulatory Affairs, Nutrition, Marketing, Product Development and others to leverage regulations to help the organization be competitive in the marketplace.
- Provide creative options and solutions to assist the brand(s) on the development of new product names and claims.
- Provide answers to labeling compliance-related questions and creative compliance options.
- Lead team in maneuvering through labeling issues and trends as well as training and mentoring junior staff.
- Leader in improving labeling systems and processes to help with consistency and agility.
- Ability to work on multiple projects, priorities and product categories.
- Communicates up-to-date knowledge and interpretation of current and pending labeling regulations.
- May represent company by participating or corresponding with trade associations or government agency meetings to help communicate regulatory/labeling concerns or company position as required.
- Responsible for obtaining USDA/FSIS label approval, temporary approvals and extensions for U.S. products and assisting Canadian labeling team with approvals for products exported to Canada.
- Review all product related artwork and ensure it meets food regulatory and internal requirements.
- Responsible for the development of mandatory label copy which includes product name, weight statement, ingredient statement, allergen declaration, kosher, nutrition facts panel and claims which meet government requirements and standard of identities. This includes ensuring compliance with all label related health and wellness claims.
- Develop and provide training regarding new/changed labeling regulations, trends, etc. that may impact the company’s brands or coordinated brands.
- Develop and update appropriate food labeling policies and procedures as needed.
- B.S. in Food Science, Nutrition or related field required
- Minimum 10 years of food industrial experience in labeling or regulatory affairs
- Breadth of experience with different food formats
- Excellent working knowledge of FDA and USDA food label regulations and documentation requirements
- Ability to work with multiple database systems and network efficiently to get information required to complete tasks.
- Excellent report writing skills
- Advanced interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to think outside the box and provide creative solutions
- Strong knowledge of food product development and processes
- Advanced understanding of food safety and allergens
- Proven ability to work in a matrix organization
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products
- Excellent relationship skills as well coaching and development skills
- Detail oriented and self-motivator
- Strong Ability to collaborate with all levels of the organization
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the United States now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.
For additional information, please contact Susan Canarick, (954) 428-3888 or firstname.lastname@example.org