Our client is an importer of canned and frozen fruits, vegetables, seafood, meat, grains, and specialty items from over 45 different countries around the world working with over 200 active suppliers. Based in Northern New Jersey, with offices in China, Thailand and Chile, they seek a Director of Quality and Food Safety.
Summary of Role:
Food Safety and Quality Assurance is an integral function as it encompasses the vetting, monitoring and testing of overseas suppliers to ensure the delivery of safe and quality food products to our US customers. Given the new US Government mandated Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) along with the rise in customer demands from all sectors, the Director of Food Safety and Quality Assurance is responsible to ensure our supply partners are in full compliance with all US government mandates and customers’ requirements. The Director of Food Safety and Quality Assurance will oversee our 8-person Quality Assurance team. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Manage, develop, and implement Company’s Foreign Supplier Verification Program; this includes performing Supplier Risk Assessments for each of their suppliers and their products.
- Travel to suppliers and potential suppliers around the world to audit plants (GMP/HAACP) and assess plant’s viability as a continuous supplier based on the supplier’s food safety practices.
- Determine required QA documentation for each supplier and review documents to ensure compliance.
- Manage product cutting program which compares supplier samples to actual product specifications; review potential new suppliers’ products and determine if they meet our rigorous standards.
- Administer supplier complaint review program; guide and resolve customer complaints. In conjunction with suppliers, determine root cause and corrective actions and report findings back to customers. Analyze complaints data to understand any trends and report to senior management.
- Evaluate customer’s and supplier’s specifications to ensure compliance. Direct initial creation and continual updating of product specifications. Review specification best practices across the industry and determine a new format for Company’s specifications going forward.
- Coordinate with third party labs to establish product testing programs.
- Understand requirements for Sustainable Seafood Program and ensure conformity
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferable in Food Science
- 10+ years of relevant experience, including experience in manufacturing environment
- Knowledge and understanding of food microbiology and food manufacturing
- Experience with HACCP, GMP, Risk Analysis, and developing a Food Safety Program
- Knowledge of FDA labeling regulations
- Experience with Product Recall, Import Alerts, and other Regulatory issues
- Knowledge of quality controls in food manufacturing, GFSI auditing, and CTPAT
- Familiarization with sustainable seafood programs including ISSF/SFP and MSC
- Excellent communication skills
- Foreign language skills a plus
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally Prefer a local candidate
Must be authorized to work in the US without requiring sponsorship now or in the future.
For more information, please contact Moira McGrath, OPUS International, Inc. (954) 428-3888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org