Our client is a leading brand manufacturer of jams, fruit preparations, sweets and custard-based desserts worldwide. They specialize in fruit preparations for a variety of customers including yogurt, ice cream and bakery manufacturers. They currently have an opening for a Product Development Manager at their location in Indiana.
The Product Development Manager is responsible for strategically influencing the business by partnering with the internal Sales department, ultimately leading to the growth and maintenance of the business. A close partnership with Sales allows for the effective prioritization and management of projects. The position is also responsible for providing leadership and technical guidance to the Product Development team, as well as creating developmental milestones for career progression. This position utilizes personal and internal technical expertise as well as vendor technical resources to develop products.
- Effectively prioritize and manage projects through close partnership with Sales in an effort to meet customer requirements for timelines, performance and cost objectives. Ensure compliance with usage of DMS as the only R&D tool for project management and communication with Sales.
- Own robustness of first productions: right first time scores at above 90% when all other operational systems are functional and in place. Focus will be on fixing the scale-up process and putting one in place where needed.
- Manage the development laboratories and the technical staff. Provide technical assistance on projects as necessary. Develop and maintain procedures and systems for efficient operation of R&D laboratory.
- Develop the staff by providing training and coaching for career progression. Maintain active development plans for each team member.
- Ensure experimental designs, with relevant statistical analysis, are conducted to develop new products/processes to maintain, enhance or fix product quality issues for current products.
- Lead productivity initiatives agreed on with Procurement and Production. Each team member should be given a minimum of one project.
Formal Education Required:
- Bachelors of Science in Food Science or Food Engineering at minimum.
- MS Degree preferred.
Specific Experience and Key Knowledge Requirements:
- Minimum 7-10 years’ product development experience in related product areas.
- Expertise in formulation, process scale-up, food regulations, use of functional ingredients such as stabilizers (starches, pectins & gums), colors, flavors in fruit formulations.
- 3-4 years’ supervisory experience.
Special Skills and Abilities Required:
- Good project management skills.
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems.
- Ability to successfully lead a team.
- Good presentation skills.
- Ability to analyze quantitative data.
- Strong familiarity with functional ingredients, product formulations, thermal processes and production scale equipment.
- Strong computer software programs proficiency with computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook e-mail, SAP, and various other databases.
- Ability to deal with internal/external customers in a professional and supportive manner.
- Ability to travel to support business initiatives.
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the US now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.
For additional information, please contact Susan Canarick, (954) 428-3888 or email@example.com.