Our client is a leading snack food manufacturer. They currently have an opportunity for a Senior Food Scientist at their facility in the Northeast.
The candidate will be responsible for leading all aspects of new product development from concept to commercialization. This individual will work closely with several cross-functional groups including manufacturing, sales and marketing.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Designs, develops, conducts and/or reviews experiments (e.g., laboratory or process experiments) in order to deliver new products.
- Evaluates ingredient and product efficacy, claims and safety.
- Evaluates new ingredients, materials, products and/or processes.
- Successfully applies scientific, engineering and consumer insights principles in research, formulation, processing and commercialization of snacks.
- Identifies, evaluates and selects new ingredients, developments, trends and technologies in the food and beverage industry to guide product development initiatives.
- Runs pilot scale equipment with knowledge of various plant unit operations and processes.
- Performs plant trials from initial planning through execution and scale-up.
- Analyzes ingredients, finished products or other substances using laboratory instruments. This includes preparation of analytical standards and standard curves.
- Uses and applies knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices (e.g., handling of chemicals and glassware, preparation of standards and reagents, proper measuring techniques, data management, housekeeping).
- Develops, maintains and/or validates laboratory test methods or equipment (sampling, monitoring, analytical procedures) in order to ensure reliability and accuracy of analytical results.
- Writes detailed and accurate reports for analyses, experiments and projects.
- Responsible for quality and food safety tasks related to the position.
- Works with management and fellow associates to ensure Food Safety programs are followed.
- Reports food, office or operational safety problems to a supervisor or manager for initiating action.
- Performs other duties as assigned that will impact and support the overall outcome of the Company and department objectives.
This position reports to the Director of Product Innovation.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, food science, or chemical engineering is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership and team building competencies.
- Strong project management and complex problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent communication, human relations and people management skills.
- Self-directed, forward thinking and able to make complex decisions that drive business innovation and performance.
- Deep ability to exercise design of experiments, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Excellent time and project management skills with proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple, concurrent projects.
Health and Safety:
- Responsible to follow all safety rules and work safely at all times.
- Responsible to report unsafe equipment and practices to supervisor.
- Must adhere to all Good Manufacturing Practices.
Office environment with regulated temperature. Position will require an ability to sit, talk or hear for frequently long periods of time. Bend and reach with hands and arms. Daily lifting and/or ability to move up to 10 pounds and infrequently up to 25 pounds. Manual dexterity and coordination are required to perform the work using a personal computer and various software programs, calculator, phone, copy and fax machines and other related tools and equipment.
Personal Protective Equipment usage where required.
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the United States now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.
For additional information, please contact Moira McGrath, (954) 428-3888 or firstname.lastname@example.org.