Our client is a top US food producer of name-brand packaged and frozen foods. They are also one of the country’s largest food service and food manufacturing suppliers, offering convenience foods and ingredients. They currently have a new opportunity for a Senior Food Scientist at their facility located in the Midwest.
The successful candidate will provide technical expertise and leadership on product development activities across all multiple product categories in support of the Food Service Unit. Carry out strategic initiatives that directly influence the achievement of business objectives. Effectively build and maintain strong relationships with both internal and external partners.
Lead and carry out product development activities across multiple product categories including bench top prototypes, hands-on plant testing, scale-up and coordination of all aspects including nutrition information, ingredient statements, packaging and labeling issues, sensory testing, and customer required documentation.
Support product development activities for secondary categories as needed.
Work closely with the culinary team to translate gold standard recipes into commercially viable new products for the client across the globe.
Use influence management skills to lead enterprise Research, Quality & Innovation teams to develop new products and processes or improve existing products and processes.
Work with the plants to define quality standards for key attributes, write specifications, and assure that improvement/maintenance issues are handled correctly and within the time frame required by the client.
Anticipate the client’s needs by identifying, testing and implementing continuous improvement, contingency improvement and cost savings opportunities.
Support the Field Service team to test and deliver restaurant innovation across all core product areas.
Work with Culinary and Insights to proactively develop new products for the client while adhering to international regulatory requirements and client’s strategic initiatives.
Occasional customer presentations.
Lead and partner with product development teams from other suppliers on continuous improvement projects for the client.
Support focus groups, central location testing, sensory evaluation testing and market blitzes for new and core products.
Participate at regional and worldwide client conventions and meetings as appropriate.
Prepare written and oral technical presentations for internal and external customers.
Act as a subject matter expert in training management as well as hourly employees on technical issues that will aid in their decision-making and job performance and lead to higher quality products for the customer.
Design and improve sensory evaluation procedures for new and core products.
- BS in Food Science or related field with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in product development required; MS preferred.
- Experience with Food Service product development preferred.
- Excellent understanding of Food Science and Technology principles, and ability to apply them in product development and commercialization.
- Experience with a broad range of product categories.
- Experience in baked goods development and commercialization preferred.
- Understanding of generating nutrition information, ingredient statements, packaging and labeling issues.
- Ability to taste and distinguish sensory characteristics of many different types of products.
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively with respect to both products, processes and execution at the restaurant level.
- Excellent ability to manage a large number of projects concurrently.
- Ability to influence enterprise RQI team.
- Global regulatory awareness.
- Knowledge of financial aspects of food and restaurant business.
- Strong coordination skills and ability to excel in a fluid, cross-functional team environment.
- Must be well balanced between the strategic view of the work and the executional aspects of the job.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and influencing skills.
- Strong presentation skills both to customers and internal contacts.
- Up to 50% travel, primarily domestic
- Self-motivated with strong attention to detail
- Customer service mindset
- Sense of urgency
- Creative, innovative, and great collaborator
- Excellent at problem solving
- Global curiosity
Exposure to manufacturing processes and equipment for periodic extended workdays.
Ability to lift up to 60 lbs. on a regular basis.
Drive a company or rental automobile 4 to 6 hours as needed.
Our client is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.
For additional information, please contact Susan Canarick, (954) 428-3888 or email@example.com