Our client is a rapidly growing company focused on innovating better-for-you, clean-label protein products for the food service and retail channels.
They have a new opportunity for a Director of Culinary Innovation to join their team in Dallas.
This position is responsible for developing and commercializing new and improved products and/or processes with the ability to identify opportunities and work projects autonomously. This covers all stages of product development and process development, including writing new product specifications and ensuring regulatory labeling and food safety requirements are met. Additional responsibilities include developing samples/prototypes of new products, modifying existing products, optimizing existing products, developing specifications for product production labeling, and compiling cost analysis information.
Essential duties include working with marketing, insights, sales, FSQA, operations and purchasing departments, coordinating with suppliers of ingredients, and ensuring smooth start-up for new product production processes with co-manufacturers. This position will have a strong working knowledge of the Research & Development process and is expected to leverage knowledge related to ingredients, product formulation and food processing to support best-in-class development of new innovative food products. The person in this position will also be responsible for working across multiple product lines and processes, conducting research with a focus on food safety, shelf life, sensory technologies, yield improvement and optimization efforts to meet business objectives.
This position will be responsible for analyzing, interpreting and presenting data for effective communication of product development and/or research findings to the business team and Sr. R&D Leadership team. The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of culinary techniques and their interaction with the science. This person will be working on teams within R&D and across the organization in normal project work or special project assignments.
This position will utilize problem-solving techniques, presentation skills and relationship building to effectively work with marketing, sales, process, package, engineering, insights, culinary, regulatory, FSQA, operations and purchasing, as well as major external customers. This person will identify, develop and complete special projects as needed.
Experience, Education and Certifications:
- BS, MS or PhD in Food Science, Meat Science, Food Engineering or related field.
- PhD with minimum of 2 years of relevant experience, M.S. with minimum of 3 years of relevant experience, B.S. with minimum of 5 years of relevant experience. Animal protein experience required.
- Experience in establishing raw material specifications for vendors and contract manufacturers.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong knowledge of food service operations, food plant operation, food quality and laboratory testing for various food products.
- Able to create specification sheets for developed products and to hold manufacturers accountable to specifications.
- Communication skills that create positive impact and engagement (written, verbal and presentations).
- Ability to quickly build trust and effective working relationships across various stakeholder groups (i.e., Suppliers, Contract Manufacturers, and Customers).
- Innovative problem solver with the ability to influence and create “win-win” solutions.
- Planning, organization and follow up skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects with sensitive deadlines and changing environment.
- Strategic decision making with strong business and financial acumen and analysis.
- Proficiency in Microsoft computer skills (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Proficiency in Genesis R&D Product Development & Labeling Software.
Ability to travel up to 15% of the time.
All applicants for this position must be authorized to work in the U.S. now and in the future without requiring sponsorship.
For additional information, please contact Susan Canarick, (954) 428-3888 (O) or (954) 830-7539 (C), or email@example.com.