The QA Manager is a key member of the management team, reporting to the Director of QA and Food Safety. The position implements and monitors the company food safety and quality systems, authors plant specific procedures, and manages the Quality Assurance Department including the HACCP and Quality plans. This role also serves as the primary contact for FDA, USDA, Florida Department of Agriculture and third party audits. In addition, the successful candidate will provide product and process related technical and regulatory support to operations, and supporting departments.
Essential Job Duties
- Oversees the execution of the HACCP, Quality Plans, Food Safety and pre-requisite programs and assures proper monitoring and reporting occurs, confirms that critical limits are met, and when needed that proper corrective actions are taken and documented.
- Serves as the primary contact with FDA and third party auditors. Manages written responses to FDA and third party audit bodies.
- Oversees performance of Pre-Operational, Operational and Post Operational inspections – documents review.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of applicable food safety, quality regulations, labeling compliance, customer expectations, customer specifications and quality assurance programs pertaining to the plant.
- Manages the Product Sampling, Testing and Analysis program for the facilities and assures that all required testing occurs and is properly managed. Assures that effective sampling, testing and analyses programs are established to verify quality and food safety and adjusts programs as appropriate.
- Oversees the Corrective and Preventative Action policy including assurance that significant food safety and quality events are properly documented in this system, as well as coordinates with Plant management effective and timely resolution of non-conformances.
- Manages the Hold and Product Release procedures to assure that quality and food safety expectations have been meet prior to shipment of products.
- Assures via QA monitoring activities that Cleaning and Sanitation programs (including Environmental Swabbing) are effective and properly executed. Reports on trends and deficiencies in a timely and effective manner.
- Assures that appropriate written procedures for quality assurance functions are developed and followed.
- Leads in investigation and solution of product food safety and quality concerns.
- Follow established programs, policies, and practices to produce safe quality foods that meet regulatory and company requirements.
- Informs the leadership team of any food safety or quality issues or of any processes which have become non-compliant with specified requirements.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related field preferred but consideration will be given to adequate work experience.
- HACCP Certified
- 5+ years of Food Safety, Quality Control, Quality Assurance or other regulatory related management experience within a FDA environment.
- Internal auditor certification within one of the GFSI programs (BRC, FSSC 22000, etc.) in food processing environment. Preference will be given to candidates with certification and experience with the BRC or FSSC 22000 schemes.
- Must have working knowledge of Food Safety and Regulatory business standards, practices, policies, procedures and state and federal laws and regulations including but not limited to HACCP, GMP’s, SSOP’s, Food Labeling, Import/Export Regulations, GFSI Certification Programs (F22K & BRC).
- Experience working in a USDA regulated facility.
- Microsoft Office computer software applications at a medium to expert user level
Travel Required –Travel will be required to the other facilities, training seminars or supplier audits but will not be a large part of this role.
For additional information, please contact Susan Canarick, (954) 830-7539 or firstname.lastname@example.org.